Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Resignation (Language)

I'd had it.  I was fed up with all the bullshit that was shoved into my face every day.  Everyone else could kneel before The Boss and suck his dick, but I wasn't about to.  You just can't treat people that way, y'know?

I'd gone over my resignation letter for some time.  I wanted to be professional, just in case the whole self-employment thing didn't work out, but I needed to get my point across that respect is earned not demanded--and, if one expects respect, one needs to be respectful.  "A man who has friends must also be friendly," and other pithy sayings dating back to ancient times.

This was the fifteenth draft.

To Whom it May Concern:

As of today, I am tendering my resignation from the company.  Over the past five years I have been in your employ, I have found that management seems to offer a certain disregard for humanity.  I can not support an organization in which the following are common place:

  • harassment of women
  • harassment of coloreds
  • harassment of LGBTQs
  • harassment of anyone not conforming to societal "norms"
When I joined this company five years ago, things were not this way.  Unfortunately, shortly after my arrival here, M. Carson was let go as the manager and G. Giles was the replacement.  Giles is nothing short of a pox upon the human race.  I have registered many complaints with HR, but as I do not possess a set of boobs or a vagina, I was told my complaints were unfounded since I was not the target.

Sadly, none of those so endowed felt they could actually complain to HR because Giles had threatened them with wage decreases or layoffs.  This is unacceptable and to know that for four years, the company has continued to turn a blind eye--enough is enough.  I should have tendered this resignation three years ago.  I hoped things would improve.  When the VP came through the other day, I thought he would see the behavior and address it.  Unfortunately, if he did see it, he simply ignored it and left just as jovially as he came in.

I hope you will take into consideration my words within this resignation letter and make it a point to address the issues at hand.  For the sake of your business.  Others may not be as I and take you to court over Giles' behavior.

Sincerely,

K. Dance

P.S.  I must also thank you, not only for the five years of employment, but also for taking all the fucks I gave about corporate America.

Well.  There it is.  My letter of resignation.  Normally, I wouldn't write it that way, but when shit keeps piling up, there's no reason to continue the niceties.  Just lay it bare for the world to see.  I get real short with the ones who just think they're better than everyone else simply because they're in charge or they're male or whatever.  Poor Tanya...she was let go because she tried to stand up for herself.  The sole supporter of three kids.  I may employ her as my personal assistant.  She is a master scheduler and amazing on the phone.  Me?  Not so much.  My phone voice is rather...what's the best term.  Hmmm...well, it'd be kinda like talking to an angry lion.  With Tanya, it's like you're talking to the sweetest angel in the universe.  But, ya make her mad, and hoo-boy!  Honey badger don't care!  She will mess your shit up, man.  I still have a bruise from her "joking" slug three weeks ago.

Mental note: Offer Tanya job.

Then there was Jocie.  Jocelyn Tobias.  She was born Frederick Tobias, but knew from the start that she was in the wrong body.  Her parents were pretty great, too.  They treated her like a girl from the moment she started showing the signs of being one.  She was saving up money for the surgery--until Giles found out.  He had her fired.  I think she told me he said it was a lack of performance, but we all knew better.  Jocie out performed everyone.  She was just that damn good.  She's at another company, making twice what she made here, and is in the leadership track for a management position.  Good on her!  She was real cute, too.

Mental note: Call Jocie and see how she's doing.

I could go on about the people Giles mistreated.  When HR came in with a new performance review system--something called a 360 or something, anyway--no one was willing to fill it out for Giles.  Except me and other straight, white males.  I told it how it was.  He was a shitty manager with no people skills and an attitude of entitlement that stank up the place.  Somehow, though, my reviews always "got lost" and no one ever saw them.  I wonder how that could possibly happen, he said sarcastically.  God, I hate that place.

But, my life is moving forward after today.  My certs are in and finished.  I'm officially licensed.  I can open my own private detective agency.  Why private dick, you ask?  So I can take down men like Giles for women like Jocie and Tanya.  Speaking of...

ring ring  "Hey, Tanya.  How y'doin'?  Yeah?  Still no work, eh?  How are the babies?   Oh, man.  Hey, tell ya what.  I'm in the area, lemme bring you and the kids some lunch.  I have a proposition for you and I'd love to get your feedback.  Sound good?  Yeah?  Okay, see you in 20 minutes."

No comments:

Post a Comment